I have lots of hardboiled eggs, all ready for the Annual Easter Egg Hunt for our Dogs, so I experimented on different natural egg dyes.
Flowers, stems, grass, ferns, etc.
1. Pick any flowers, leaves or other items from outside.
2. Place them and the egg in a square of cheesecloth and tie shut with a twist tie or rubber band.
3. Cut up any items to create dye, such as, beets, cabbage, onion skins, etc.
4. Place approximately 1-2 beets, sliced into small pieces in 3-4 cups of water.
5. Add 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp vinegar
6. Boil for 10-20 minutes.
7. Allow mixture to cool slightly and add to a cup or mason jar and place egg in dye.
8. Allow egg to soak for at least an hour or even overnight, until the desired color is achieved.
9. Unwrap and allow the egg to dry.
10. Repeat with all of the other items. I used 1/2 head of cabbage, 2 onion skins, 2 Tablespoons Turmeric.
From left to right;
Beet, Onion skin, Turmeric, Cabbage (I also tried paprika, but it didn't turn out)